Life goes on around you...
A cancer diagnosis doesn’t just affect one person. The whole family is affected, not only by the diagnosis and the fear that comes with it but also the treatment. And when a woman is going through treatment for cancer, she has to manage it both physically and emotionally while still trying to go to work, get the kids to school and carry on with life.
Where do we spend our funds?
- Memories – We organised a weekend to remember for a woman who has developed brain tumours, her husband and young daughter. Memories to treasure!
- Breasts – even with private health insurance, women can face an out of pocket expense of $5,000 – $10,000 for a reconstruction and we are able to assist financially with the costs.
- Holidays – the stress and strain the diagnosis and treatment put on a family can be extreme. Often a holiday, time away together is just what they need but the last thing they can afford. So we have helped to organise these for families who really need a break.
- Bills – Unfortunately the bills keep coming in and the mortgage still needs to be paid no matter what you are dealing with. By helping out with some of these ongoing costs, we can take a little of the pressure off.
- Practical Help – Its often the day to day chores that get swept under the carpet with the dirt. We have a range of professionals we can send over to help out with the gardens, housework, meals, transportation, whatever needs to be done.
- Thinking of You – We often send women coming home from the hospital or going through treatment a bunch of flowers or a box of chocolates, just to let them know we are here if they need us.
- Breast Cancer Network Australia Conference – We have paid for 7 ladies from our support group to go to this conference with more than 600 other breast cancer survivors from across Australia. Knowledge is power!
- Annual Retreat - We provide a health & wellness program at a local Health Retreat which gives our ladies an unforgettable experience of learning, relaxing, nurturing, helping and bonding. The best kind of medicine you can get!
- Support Group Meetings – We hold these once a month in the Hawkesbury. It’s a great opportunity for women going through cancer treatment to chat, share their hopes, dreams , fears and frustrations with other women in similar a situation.
But it doesn't stop there... whatever you need our aim is to help.